Thursday 1 November 2012

Commuting Before Computers


As a daily commuter I have to admit I couldn't imagine a journey without my phone, iPod or laptop but I decided not just to imagine but try and accomplish it.


I travel roughly an hour a day to University and back, this consists of a bit of walking, a train ride and a bus if either I'm feeling lazy or the weather is pants! As it’s not the longest of journeys I didn't think it could be that hard. Boy was I wrong.

A few minutes into my walk I realised the weird noises I could hear were my surroundings that I normally drown out with the help of my iPod. As I had decided to try and have a computer-free journey I joined the queue to speak to a cashier at the train station rather than use the self-service machine. When on my train things really got difficult, without my phone I realised I didn't have a way of telling the time (note to self - wear your watch), of communicating with my colleagues about when or where to meet. I also had no distraction from making eye-contact with other compute-less commuters. I decided to read the paper (I did this most days anyway so didn't think it could be any different) when I realised again the noises I could here were people around me, and the lady on the tannoy and the squeaks and squeals of the train, all things I knew happened but were new to my music filled ears. After arriving at Luton station I took the short walk to University where I couldn't have been more relieved to feel like I had achieved my goal (or at least half of it – there was still the way home to go yet!) Finally reaching into my bag to find my phone I thought I must have messages, missed calls, emails, everything I mean I hadn't looked at my phone in nearly half an hour! The reality? Nothing! Just my normal wallpaper staring back at me. Refusing to believe this I slid my phone up just to check but nope, the gadget I am so reliant of during my travels had sat dormant in my bag completely unaware we had ever been apart!

With this new knowledge I have to admit the journey home was slightly easier, although a lot noisier and with no paper to read did seem to last three times the length of the morning journey. But all in all, I survived and I have to admit it was quite nice to be unreachable to the world if only for half an hour at a time! 


commuters on smartphones in South Korea
The common sight on the Underground - I wonder if any of them could go computer-less for a journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment